My UKOUG 2008

Written by Paulo Vale on Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last week I went to Birmingham UK to attend the UKOUG 2008 conference. João came along with me and I can speak for both of us when I say that we had a great time. We found Birmingham to be a very clean and organized city and it was also good because we managed to stay in London for the weekend where we had the time to visit some of the most famous touristic attractions.


The conference itself was very good. There weren't that many APEX related sessions, but there were other interesting topics regarding SQL Developer and Oracle Database like performance, security, globalization and PL/SQL development.


In what concerns the APEX sessions...

I liked very much Roel's presentation with the title "(Re)Developing a logistic application in APEX in the real world". I think he made this presentation at OpenWorld, but I didn't had the chance to attend at that time. With this presentation Roel showed us some tricks using jquery, ajax and json to add extra functionality to an APEX application. Really nice job!

John also presented a session that I attended for the first time with the title "Application Express Best Practices". There were some nice tips there and most of them used by few Apex developers and system administrators. I think John is a very talented speaker... I had this opinion from a session I had the opportunity to attend in the past, and I could confirm it this time.

There were two other sessions by Dimitri Gielis and by David Peake. Dimitri's session ("Mastering Charts in APEX") was similar with the one he presented at OpenWorld. He had to rush in the best part of the presentation, when he was showing Anychart 5 functionalities and advanced customization, with no apparent reason since the room was clear for at least more 45 minutes after the session, and the presenter and the attendees were interested in continue with the presentation! David also rushed is presentation about "Oracle Application Express Now and in the Future". He managed to show (live demos included) Websheets, Forms Conversion and Interactive Reports in only one session!!!

It was very nice to find some familiar faces like David, John, Roel and Dimitri that I had the opportunity know at the OpenWorld last September, and to meet Anthony, the newest member of the APEX development team. All nice guys :)

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ My UKOUG 2008 ”